Tuesday 6 January 2015

Opening Sequence Film Scripts

SCRIPTS


When I wrote my scripts, I decided to make them a lot like the style of script you would get for a real movie or TV show, following the same format and the same fonts and page layouts.




These are examples of scripts from actual plays, movies and TV shows that flow the same way my script does in the way of the layouts, font and format.






This was the original version of the script that I wrote but I quickly decided that I wanted to re-write all of what I'd written because the script lasted a lot longer than I'd intended it to, there was too big of a chunk of speech by one character at a couple of points and the whole conversation felt like it didn't flow like a real conversation and felt very scripted, so for these reasons I decided that it would be best to completely re-write a script that felt a lot more natural and not script and was a lot less bulky and boring.





This is the second version of the script that I came up with. While this one was a lot better, I felt that it didn't quite portray enough of what is suppose to be going on in the opening sequence, as the details of what they're discussing is very vague and doesn't include much in the way of the setting, the plot of the film or the who the characters are. As I still wasn't happy with the way the script felt, I decided to re-write it again, this time changing the feel completely to make it feel a lot less dark and more interesting to the viewer.




This is the final version of the script that I wrote, and features better details of the plot that'll evolve throughout the film, and features the changes in ideas of the film synopsis. It does a better job at being interesting, as the lines are less bulky and don't feature huge blocks of speech from one character at once, and also includes some sarcasm to include some comedy, as when I did my survey, most people said they enjoy comedy in films. This version of the script, also doesn't dwell on being too dark and serious like the previous two were. There will be cuts between this scene and the river scene shown in my storyboard at:


Oh fuck, what happened? -Olan Hughes

Ahh we just got caught up by a couple of them undeads, nothing too serious. -Zak Hughes


These shots and cuts will be smooth and quick transitions, and appear to show and make it clear that they're flash backs to the event they're referencing. Because of this, it'll make the feel of the flashbacks a lot more natural.

1 comment: